Monday 16 November 2015

November, a Month of Thanksgiving and Gratefulness

.
Today, Man and I are sitting out a significant rain event in Pinnacle North Carolina.  Sweet newer small campground in the shadow of Pilot Mountain.  We have been traveling and working rather hard for several weeks, so this rain event/rest is more than welcomed.


In the US, we celebrate Thanksgiving in late November.  They say this year, that you will not find a “large” turkey, there has been a avian bird flu that has reduced the availability of turkeys.  For many this will be traumatic, as family traditions are so deeply rooted in our souls.  I look at this as a possibility to change or make our own family traditions. Tradition is wonderful, but, it can change. Many years ago, when we had two sons (number three was not even a twinkle in his daddies’s eye yet), we changed our Christmas meal menu.  I set out guidelines that all food had to be prepared in the days leading up to Christmas and served cold.  Sound sad??  Not one bit. We prepared smoked turkeys, deviled eggs, potato salad, cheese and bread trays, fresh vegie trays, deserts to die for, usually what we have called the “Bowen cheesecake”.  We purchased fantastic honey spiral cut ham.  There was so much food we had left overs for days.  The “cold” meal could be set out and enjoyed during the day (yes, the potato salad would be put back in the frig, food poisoning was not part of the menu).  And, enjoyed it was.  So, yes, you can change up the family traditional meals, it is after all, all about the family anyway, the meal is just the accompaniment.

Now, all of that explained, do you record these sort of family “memories” in your family history?? Maybe even a photo of the “spread” or your lovely table settings.  I would give anything to see a representation of the table of my ancestors.

November is also a month of gratefulness that is played out on social media like Facebook with a daily meme of stating what you are thankful for.  Some of the entries are truly amazing and heartwarming. It is also a challenge to come up with a post every day. I did this several years ago, and ended up reproducing the month of posts on Reflections, Thankful November.

It is fun to go back and remember.  And, again, I shall ask, have you recorded memories and thankfulness on your blog or in your family history?

Man and I have no idea where we will spend the Thanksgiving day, somewhere on the road between North Carolina and Florida.  We are taking our time and visiting a few friends along the way.  No research stops are currently planned, but, hey, Man and I live for the day and our plans are written in dust and sea mist.  The wheels roll and we try to enjoy the trip(s) for what is offered.  Visits with family and friends are highly valued.  Even short family visits may produce some wonderful foder for your research.  Maybe a digital sound recording of your visit and the story telling that always happens.  I don’t have many interviews in my family history, but the ones I do have are, simply, amazing.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, eat well, and enjoy the family times. (Then go post some of the great memories to your data base.)




.

11 comments:

  1. Carol, Happy Thanksgiving to you and Man, wherever you may come to rest on the day! As you have said, being thankful is about family and 'the meal is just the accompaniment'. Continue to have safe travels. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer. It was a nice Thanksgiving, and I ended up spending it with Bowen cousins.

      Delete
  2. Love your post, Carol!!! Happy Thanksgiving, and Thanks for posting a link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry. May the rest of your holiday season be blessed.

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of the cold meal prepared earlier. I didn't know there was a turkey shortage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cold meal prepared earlier was a life saver when we had 3 young sons, and even more so later when they brought home girlfriends and roommates and eventually grand children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice memory, and I have found since the older generation and my Hero is gone. My heart isn't in a huge dinner, so my daughter when they are not traveling does it. I have had a quiet day with lots of phone calls when she is not here. The early memories of family get togethers is fun and worth writing about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy holidays Fran, your memories are so lovely, you truly are blessed. A quiet day, lots of phone calls, all good things.

      Delete
  6. I use to have everyone and prepare all of the meals myself. I found myself exhausted and irritable from going from one meal to another.....this year, I shopped pre-prepared casseroles, etc from Publix and Costco. All I made were two small turkeys. I asked each couple to be responsible for a meal...my niece and her family brought "breakfasts", my son and his wife brought "lunches", another son the beverages, etc. It was so much better. No one felt guilty that I was in the kitchen so much. I "gave up" control and vacated the kitchen at all of "their meals". It worked out just fine. They felt happy to help, I was so much less exhausted, everyone was so much happier. Changing things up a bit is not necessarily a bad thing at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pisces49, giving up control is one of the most wonderful gifts you can give your family. Your energy is not depleted and they get to show off their culinary skills as well. I love going out to restaurants when company comes, so I can spend my time enjoying them and hearing what they have to share with me. Enjoy the rest of this blessed holiday season.

      Delete
  7. I use to have everyone and prepare all of the meals myself. I found myself exhausted and irritable from going from one meal to another.....this year, I shopped pre-prepared casseroles, etc from Publix and Costco. All I made were two small turkeys. I asked each couple to be responsible for a meal...my niece and her family brought "breakfasts", my son and his wife brought "lunches", another son the beverages, etc. It was so much better. No one felt guilty that I was in the kitchen so much. I "gave up" control and vacated the kitchen at all of "their meals". It worked out just fine. They felt happy to help, I was so much less exhausted, everyone was so much happier. Changing things up a bit is not necessarily a bad thing at all!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thanks for leaving a comment on the World Wide Genealogy Blog. All comments are moderated because of pesky spammers!

Best wishes
World Wide Genealogy Team