Wednesday 16 September 2015

Tidbits From My World:: Reflection's Dreams. Headstones. Fortunes. Critters. Scientific Fistic.

.

Man and I are already dreaming of escaping for the winter - when our Heritage RV, Tana heads south. First, however, lets talk headstones, critters, fortunes and scientific fistic.  Yea, let's.

Last summer and earlier this year, I shared with you the experience of ordering three memorial markers at one time.  Three markers, three different cemeteries, three different set of rules.  One could say I live dangerously, err, an exciting life.  One could say, I might be just a little crazed.

But, all's well that ends well and Man and I are very pleased with the results.

And, so, I unveil a photo of the last of the three.  (To see the first two, see this post from June 2015.)

And, the memorial marker for Man's paternal grandparents.  Yes, he has two names.  Yes he is one of my most interesting research subjects.  He IS the reason I became addicted to family research. Good ole "Archie".


If you care to read my report on the day we went to the cemetery, it is here, on Reflections.  It was quite the day. Hopefully you will find some humor in it at my expense.

Now, about those fortunes, critters, and scientific fistic.  I spent a few hours this summer transcribing news articles. I have collected news articles here and there over a few years. I have more to transcribe. It is tedious work that transcribing. Tedious, but, also enjoyable. The articles add so much color to my data base. Stories, sometimes dark, sometimes humorous, sometimes sad.  Over the last few months, I have published some interesting ones over at Reflections.  And, here are the links.

One of Man's ancestors, a uncle of some generations removed, Aaron Lashbrook took me on a bit of a fortune hunt.  The hook, from 1892,  that caused me to search more, is here.    And, in 1902, the report of the failed hunt.

Oscar Lashbrook, son of our fortune hunter Aaron, was involved in a horse story.

Aaron has his own horse stories, here is one.  Believe it or not, Aaron was probably the subject of this dog story.

Orville Lashbrook, another of Man's kin, was a police officer in Kansas City, Missouri. Over the years I have found quite a few little tidbits that are interesting on Orville.  One post at Reflections covered vice squads, safes and opossums.  Really.  Tis here.

Next I found Orville testifying about, of all things, honey bees.

And, Aaron, our dear country veterinarian from Kansas, was also the subject of this piece, on scientific fistic.

Newspapers, do you research them??  Really you should.  I followed one Lashbrook young man from the first articles on the draft for World War I till he went off to war and returned home.  It was a fascinating, eye opening, experience for me.  One time I found a report of all the new cars sold in a month.  Yes, indeedy, a Lashbrook was listed.

And, there you have it, dreams, headstones, fortunes, critters and scientific fistic.

Till next month.  Come October, Man and I will, hopefully, be in the crazy packing and organizing extravaganza that goes on before we head south.  


Hope to see ya on the road, in a library, archives or a cemetery some time soon.




.

4 comments:

  1. Carol, My research would be nothing without newspapers. They've been especially valuable for my San Francisco lines filling in the gaps where the 1906 earthquake and fired erased all traces of their existence. If it weren't for the San Francisco Call, I wouldn't know that Martin Kelly shot a man who owed him money, that the Jones family attended a party together, that a very depressed Michael Kelly committed suicide after his mother died, or the year that my great grandparents married.

    I owe a lot to newspapers. Thank goodness they are being digitized and made searchable. This makes the task so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Carol, very interesting! I too love newspapers,a nd find they have brought alive many of my ancestors who i would know nothing personal aobut otherwise! I have learned that I am thankful that I was born and raised in a fairly large city, Richmond, Virginia, where the newspapers go back to Williamsburg and beyond! but for my many ancestors who lived in small towns or rural areas, there is little to NO information . If somone wants to start a new clearing house site, a newspaper archives site that specializes in rural and small town areas of our developing country, that would surely be marvelous! Thanks for this, Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Mel and Helen. I so love the digitized newspapers. I just need another life time to process and hunt down all the wonderful articles still hiding from me.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thanks for leaving a comment on the World Wide Genealogy Blog. All comments are moderated because of pesky spammers!

Best wishes
World Wide Genealogy Team