|Logo on www.curiousfox.com|
In CuriousFox, every town and village in the United Kingdom and Ireland has its own page. There is also a USA version, which I have not personally used.
Things I like about CuriousFox include:
- Exact map locations and historic maps.
- Free to join, add entries, and search by village or surname.
- With surname searches, finding relevant entries is easier because you can work at town / village level.
- You can search for 'nearby' entries.
- It is easy to edit or delete your entries.
- Google searches will find your entries (so 'new relatives' can contact you).
- No spam (your email address is not visible).
- Privacy (the system sends messages between members, and you decide whether to give a particular member your address).
- Advantages of being a paying member (about five pounds per year) include:
- Contact and be contacted by all other members (free or paying).
- Receive email alerts when people add entries for towns of interest to you.
- Publicise your Web page or blog.
|Entry screen for my ASHTON message|
- Give some thought to the wording of your entries. They should be concise, with surnames (and only surnames) in capital letters. Specify dates, and use appropriate punctuation.
- For large towns with many entries and multiple pages, delete your entry every year and immediately resubmit it (updated if necessary) so that it reappears near the top of the list for that town. I did this recently, and within 24 hours a local historian contacted me and offered to send transcriptions of land records for that surname/town!
I hope you will try Curious Fox and share your success stories in a comment here. You might also like: