Thursday 16 January 2014

Rolling Out To You, From Somewhere in the USA

.
Hi, I am Carol.  I come to you from Tampa Florida this month. Next month, I have no idea where I may be writing from.  See, we own a “stick built” home in SE Michigan, but, we also own a rolling home, a RV.


I am excited to be here as a participant in this new experiment of world wide blogging.  The RVing part of my soul keeps me stepping out of my comfort zone, this experiment feels the same in my world of blogging, step away from your comfort zone, try something new, push the limits.

I believe I was born with some serious nomad blood running through my veins.  I love the life of a Rver.  I also love, passionately, family research.  Real love and joy happen when I can marry the two.  And, I try to do that, as often as I can.  I even started a group on Facebook for those who love Genealogy and Rving, The group has the original sounding name of, GeneaRVing.

I have been researching since 1991.  I have been a volunteer for many years, in a Family History Center for some years, and in the local genealogy club for over 10 years, maybe closer to 15.  I taught genealogy in a campground in southern Texas for 3 years.  I strongly believe in giving it back, or paying it forward with volunteerism.

I have compiled and published two family histories, several more are in the works.  I really must finish one or two or - - -

My main blog, Reflections From the Fence is almost 5 years old.  The name came from the quirk I have of studying certain situations for a very long time, sitting on the fence, reflecting, having a difficult time deciding which side of the fence I care to visit.  Or, which side of a discussion I favor.

Reflections is a mix of family history, RVing travel logs and photos, some ideas on technology, living in a RV. Here and there a I may toss in a dash of yorkies.  Seems I reflect on much, and I really tend to mix it up.  I even keep myself wondering where I will go next or chat about next.  As a twist on the name, it truly has become a “reflection” of who I am and what I love.

Man (the hubby) and I have been traveling rather heavily since his retirement in January of 2001.  It has been our dream for over 35 years to travel the USA this way, for as long as we can.  We consider ourselves “extreme longtimers”.  The first several years I was able to convince him we just HAD to travel to Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and Virginia, the bases of my heritage, deep bases.  I can tell you that YES you can travel and live in a RV and research.  It is wonderful to visit the homes of our ancestors and make discoveries about them and their lives, to walk among them.

My office in Tana (our 5th wheel, the trailer), iPad, monitor, laptop, let the research continue - -


Welcome to Worldwide Genealogy, come back and visit soon.  Let’s travel this together, shall we?


 .

23 comments:

  1. Hi, Carol. I look forward to reading future posts - from wherever you are - and getting your unique perspective on issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat you are doing this Carol. Watching for posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran, you are such a good friend.

      Delete
  3. What a brilliant way to get to the places you wanted to research! Look forward to future posts from everywhere by you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristin. I think it is brilliant (wink wink). Also comfortable, my home is where the wheels roll.

      Delete
  4. I'll be hopping on this bandwagon! I really enjoy your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne, glad to have you on this band wagon!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are starting to take some basic genealogy courses here in Sun City next week. We look forward to following your blog for further insights. Time to get serious about where we came from and leaving the legacy to the grands before it is too late. Always love your blogs. Myrna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Myrna, Good luck in your research. You obviously (tee hee) know where to find me! Give a yell if you have questions, I'll try to help.

      Delete
  7. Hi Carol, I love your Office! So much more fun thn mine. :) I am really looking forward to reading your future posts from wherever.
    Di

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane! I love my little office too! Really I do!

      Delete
  8. Hog Heaven RvLiving and Blogging with Family Research. That was a few Bucket Listers off the List. Sounds like Good Living to me! I can't wait to hear some of this and some that! and Travel stories. Great to meet you Carol and Man! I enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good living True. I am delighted to make your acquaintance as well.

      Delete
  9. Awwwwwwwwww Carol the Nomad Traveler Indeed! Glad to see u here! Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Carol! What a wonderful way to roll out and see the world! I look forward to reading your stories and future posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yvette, I think I agree, wink wink, it is a wonderful way to see the world, well, at least the USA. ;-)

      Delete
  11. Carol - I am so glad you decided to jump in and join us and I am going to love following your travels - both genealogy-wise and Rving-wise. Happy trails and I think we are going to get a terrific perspective from your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tessa. This is a great line of of bloggers, very exciting.

      Delete
  12. Such a nomad; it sounds like fun! I lived in the Detroit area during the mid- to late-1980s. I met my husband there. I say I imported him to south of the Mason-Dixon Line. I love the history of Detroit. At one time I think it was the world's manufacturer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Detroit does indeed have a deep history, Schalene. Settled in 1701. That is a LOT of history! However, it was first mentioned back in 1670, when French missionaries were there.

      Delete

Hello, thanks for leaving a comment on the World Wide Genealogy Blog. All comments are moderated because of pesky spammers!

Best wishes
World Wide Genealogy Team